Tis’ The Season For Giving
The Martin Velsen Team has amazing clients, friends, and relatives. Each year, we like to think of unique gift ideas that we can give to our clients – past and present – to show our appreciate for their business and trust. This year, however, we wanted to do something a bit different. We wanted to create 12 Days of Giving.
Every year, the holiday season seems to appear full force after Halloween. Decorations, lights, even Christmas sales begin in our local stores. Don’t get us wrong – we love Christmas and all it brings – but we thought this year we could make it a bit more special.
We have many clients in happy homes and wanted to provide some happiness to others in our community as well. This year, instead of giving gifts, we have decided to make 12 donations to local charities for the 12 Days Of Giving. We have donated $250 to 12 charities in Nanaimo and on Gabriola Island.
Our 12 Local Charities
- The Nanaimo SPCA serves sick, neglected, abused and homeless animals. There are 44 locations across the province. It is a not for profit organization that helps animals in need. Animals can be adopted from any of the SPCA shelters.
Nanaimo Haven Society
- The Haven Society provides emergency shelter, emotional support, counselling and advocacy for women, children & families in the Mid-Vancouver Island area.
Clay Tree Society
- The Clay Tree Society is a private, non-profit agency that provides community integration programs to individuals 19 years and older. The programs assist individuals with developmental disabilities and provides support in the pursuit of their goals.
- Rainbows Nanaimo provides support to families going through a major loss in their family. They provide much needed support to children, teens and their parents as they grieve and deal with changes in their family life. Kids and families learn about their feelings and coping skills.
Nanaimo Community Hospice
- The Nanaimo Community Hospice believes that the dying should experience dignity and peace, their caregivers should get the help they need, and their friends and family should be supported in their grief. They are Canada’s first community based Hospice.
V.I. Mental Health Society
- The Vancouver Island Mental Health Society (VIMHS) is a Vancouver Island based organization demonstrating excellence in psychosocial rehabilitation for adults with mental health and addictions concerns, and/or cognitive challenges. They engage communities through programs that promote recovery, social inclusion, safe housing and public education.
- Hamperville Nanaimo is a partnership between Loaves and Fishes Food Bank and the Salvation Army to distribute Christmas Hampers in the Nanaimo area. They gather food and cash donations and distribute to the less fortunate in our community at Christmastime.
Vancouver Island Multicultural Society
- The Immigrant Welcome Centre at the Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society (CVIMS) welcomes hundreds of new immigrants from over 50 countries. The CVIMS use specialized programs, services and support for newcomers and help make the transition to a new life in Canada a little easier.
Nanaimo Disability Resource Centre
- The Nanaimo Disability Resource Centre is a registered non-profit charity that serves seniors and persons with disabilities by offering programs and services to promote greater participation in our community.
Gabriola Ambulance Society
- The Gabriola Ambulance Society is a not-for-profit organization that serves the residents of Gabriola and Mudge Islands. They offer equipment loans, payment of ambulance user fees, and reimbursement for home assistance. The Society also provide an annual $2,000 scholarship to a Gabriola student entering a medical field.
- Growls stands for Gabriola Rescue of Wildlife Society and is a service that provides care for injured or orphaned wildlife, along with immediate and accessible assistance for people encountering the animals.
People For A Healthy Community Gabriola
- People For A Healthy Community Gabriola (PHC) is a community based non-profit social service organization on Gabriola Island. They provide a range of essential services such as a food bank, seniors programs and school lunches.
We wish everyone a happy, healthy Merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!